Creating beautiful vessels for people to use or contemplate is a thoroughly enjoyable way to spend one’s life. I have been potting since I was 13 and have never grown tired of any aspect of my job. I love to go out to my studio every day full of creative energy to create anew. My focus is on expressing the beauty and strength of pure form. I delight in the challenge of creating contemporary vessels based on classic lines and have a keen interest in developing original glaze effects for my works.
Born in Fredericton, New Brunswick in 1959, I moved with my family to British Columbia in 1966. I am self-taught and have worked solely as a potter since 1979. My works are exhibited nationally and internationally, and I especially enjoy the time that I spend with customers from around the world who visit my studio in Ladysmith, on Vancouver Island.
Download Mary Fox Pottery brochure (700k PDF)
Beauty is a wondrous and mysterious presence, one that can fill you with surges of overwhelming joy and delight. The perfection and fluency that comes from a deep knowing and connection to one’s work is, at times, awesome in its power to bring forth the vessel’s radiance. Beauty is everywhere in the act of creation and it is humbling to be encompassed by it.
I hope you enjoy browsing my work. See you in Ladysmith.
“Turning Forty – The Art of Ceramics at Circle Craft,” Circle Craft Cooperative, Granville Island, Vancouver, B.C.
”Shaping Darma Through Creativity” Lecture with Mary Fox, Red Door Yoga, Lantzville BC, June 7th, 6:30-8:30 pm.
2013 – 1999 “The Art of Splash”, Annual exhibition by Art’s Umbrella, Vancouver
“Back to the Land”, Victoria Art Gallery, 1040 Moss Street, Victoria, B.C.
“Filberg Festival“, Guest Artist, Comox Valley
- “Vasefinder International“, curated by Charles A Blim
- “Matter of Clay III“, Jonathon Bancroft-Snell Gallery, London, Ontario, August
- “Classic Forms Revisited“, Gallery of BC Ceramics, Vancouver, B.C., September
- “Pacific Rim Connection“, Ladysmith Waterfront Art Gallery, July
- “Fired Up! Contemporary Works in Clay“, National 25th Anniversary Exhibition, Jonathon Bancroft-Snell Gallery, London, Ontario, August
- “What the Rain Brings” Fired Up! Contemporary Works in Clay, Canadian Clay and Glass Gallery, Waterloo, Ontario, April-June
- “Fired up!“ Lecture Series, Art Gallery of Greater Victoria, Inspiration and the Creative Process
- “Elemental Connections”, Saskatchewan Craft Council, January/February
- “Masters Series Presenter”, Arrowsmith Potters Guild, Parksville, B.C.
- “Elemental Connections”, Feature Gallery, Alberta Craft Council, July-September
- “Fox & Norgate” Wallace Galleries, Calgary, Alberta, April-May
- “Contemporary Craft in BC: Excellence within Diversity” the Crafts Association of BC & Vancouver Museum, February-April
- “Elemental Connections”, an Exhibition of Sustainable Craft, Ontario Crafts Council, Toronto, Ontario
- “Surfaces”, Jonathon Bancroft-Snell Interiors, London, Ontario
- “In the Palm of a Hand: BC to Tajimi Japan Touring Exhibition” Gallery of BC Ceramics, Vancouver, B.C.
- “Matter of Clay II – Repeats and Occasional Pots”, Jonathon Bancroft-Snell Interiors, London, Ontario
- “New Growth-Synthesizing Clay”, 40th Annual NCECA Conference, Portland, Oregon, USA, Fired up
- “Objectoronto, an Exposition of Craft+Art+Design”, Harbinger Gallery, Gladstone Hotel, Toronto, Ontario
- “February Gallery Invitational Exhibition” Gallery of BC Ceramics, Vancouver, B.C., Group show
- “Beauty of Form Enhanced”, Gallery of BC Ceramics, Granville Island, Vancouver, B.C., solo exhibition
- “Circle Craft Scholarships”, Circle Craft Scholarship recipients, Pendulum Gallery, Vancouver B.C.
- “Creation in the Palm, BC to Tajimi Japan Exchange Exhibition”, Japan
- “TransFormation”, Celebrating the Potters Guild of BC at 50, Burnaby Art Gallery, Burnaby, B.C.
- “Fine Ceramics”, Vancouver Art Gallery Rental & Sales Showroom, Vancouver, B.C.
- “Invitational Exhibition of Contemporary West Coast Ceramics”, ArtSpring, Salt Spring Island, B.C.
- “Circle Craft – SPIN”, Pendulum Gallery, Vancouver, B.C.
- “The Shape Between Continuity and Innovation“, Museo Internazionale delle Ceramiche, Faenza, Italy
- “On The Edge”, Peninsula Gallery, Sidney, B.C.
- “Genius Loci”, Canadian Clay & Glass Gallery, Waterloo, Ontario
- “We Are Circle Craft! Celebrating Our First 30 Years”, Pendulum Gallery, Vancouver, B.C.
- “Spring Show”, Wallace Galleries, Calgary, Alberta
- “2002 Sidney Myer Fund International Ceramics Award”, Shepparton Art Gallery, Shepparton, Australia
- “New Works”, Wallace Galleries, Calgary, Alberta
- “Empty Bowl Project”, Canadian Craft Museum, Vancouver, B.C.
- “White Exhibition”, Portfolio Gallery, Vancouver, B.C.
- “ARTS 2000″, Gallery Stratford, Stratford, Ontario.
- “Treasured Vessels”, Portfolio Gallery, Vancouver, B.C. (solo)
- “Expressions From The West”, Gallery Six One One, Toronto, Ontario
- “Made By Hand – Silver Edition”, Canadian Craft Museum, Vancouver, concurrent exhibitions in Vancouver and Victoria, B.C.
- “Clay 98 – Our Finest Work”, Community Arts Council of Vancouver, Vancouver, B.C.
- “APEC Ikebana Exhibit”, Vancouver Trade and Convention Centre, Vancouver, B.C.
- “Fine Form”, with accompanying video, Gallery of British Columbia Ceramics, Vancouver, B.C. (solo)
Selected Public Collections, Publications, Professional Activities
- “Fired Up!”, Contemporary Works in Clay
- “Searching for Beauty” Richard Jacobs, Kestral Books Ltd.
- “Treasures of British Columbia”, Morgan & Chase Publishing Inc.
- “Canadian Studio Ceramics 1920-2005″, by Gail Crawford
- “Craft Perception and Practice, Volume 2″, edited by Paula Gustafson, cover photograph
- “Making Marks: Discovering the Ceramic Surface”, by Robin Hopper
- “For this potter, form is Number One”, by Robert Amos, originally published in the Times Colonist, Victoria, B.C., June 2003, can be found with additional images
- Collection of Museo Internazionale delle Ceramiche, Faenza, Italy
- Collection of Ultima Ventures Corporation, Calgary, Alberta
- “Artichoke: Special Edition Number 2″, cover photograph and Portfolio.
- 2002 – 1997 Core member of “Fired Up!” group of ceramic artists, Metchosin, B.C.
- “The Ceramic Spectrum”, 2nd Edition, by Robin Hopper
- “Made of Clay: Ceramics of British Columbia”, Potters Guild of B.C.
- Circle Craft Co-operative Study Scholarship
1989 – 1988
- Board of Directors, Circle Craft Co-operative, Vancouver, B.C.
- Banff School of Fine Arts, Summer Program, Banff, Alberta
- Collection of Praxis Design Company, Vancouver, B.C.
- Crafts Association of British Columbia Cameron Rogers Scholarship